Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Eggs (Soon to Be Chickens)


I think that it's because we want to get another dog but really can't find an excuse to go through all of the training, money, etc right now. That's why we've decided to raise chickens instead. Actually, there are a number of benefits of chickens that I'm looking forward to. First, there are those tasty eggs. Secondly, they are great at eating all of those tasty bugs out of my garden while depositing some lovely fertilizer. Third, they are pretty cute.

Nonetheless, almost 21 days ago our friend, a chicken farmer, dropped off one dozen eggs, an incubator and a brooder light. Right now, as I am typing this I can hear a little "peep peep" coming from our first pipping chick. No, we don't have a chicken coop - yet. We need to keep the little guys in the house for the first 60 days. That gives us two months to build a chicken coop (and get permission from our neighbors for the permit - yikes!).

No comments: